by Dana Smith
And, as you know, the beauty of the People's Choice is that there is no anonymous or high and mighty governing body that will decide the winners. That honor is shared equally among all those who vote for their favorites across a wide range of entertainment genres. This show isn't just music or movies or TV or digital--it's all of them, combined into a frenzy of voting activity that won't calm down until January 6th, when the show will be broadcast live.
Let's take a broad look at the nominees before we get to a few of the most anticipated categories. Like always, some nominees snagged recognition in multiple genres, like Dwayne Johnson, who has been nominated in three separate categories. The Rock, as he was known when he was a professional wrestler, is in the running for “Favorite Action Movie Actor,” “Favorite Cable TV Actor” and “Favorite Social Media Celebrity.”
Newbie The Weeknd leads the list with five nominations, including “Favorite Male Artist” and “Favorite Album” for Beauty Behind the Madness. The ageless Madonna, who has won two People's Choice Awards, has two nominations herself this year. She is in the running for “Favorite Music Icon,” facing off against the likes of Paul McCartney, Prince, Steven Tyler, and Stevie Wonder. She's also nominated for “Favorite Female Artist” where she'll have plenty of competition from Demi Lovato, Lana Del Rey, Selena Gomez, and the ubiquitous Taylor Swift.
The most nominated TV show is Grey's Anatomy with six nods. Avengers: Age of Ultron is the number one nominated film with seven.
Voting is taking place at three places PeoplesChoice.com, the People’s Choice Facebook page, and the People’s Choice Awards mobile app. If you'd like to attend the event, VIP concierge has VIP tickets to the show at Vipawardshowtickets. You can choose to be in the red carpet viewing area with seats in the first 20 rows of the first floor or the orchestra, you can have VIP floor seats in first 10 rows w/ red carpet walk (partial), a limo pass and make the scene at the VIP pre-party. Naturally, the show is going to be held in the people's favorite city in the world, Los Angeles.
Here are some more nominees in special categories.
- Favorite Movie, the nominees are Avengers: Age of Ultron, Furious 7, Inside Out, Jurassic World and Pitch Perfect 2.
- The Favorite Movie Actor nominees are Channing Tatum, Chris Pratt, Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr. and Will Smith.
- Favorite Movie Actress, the list includes Anne Hathaway, Melissa McCarthy, Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock and Scarlett Johansson.
- The Favorite Action Movie nods went to Avengers: Age of Ultron, The Divergent Series: Insurgent, Furious 7, Jurassic World and Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials.
- Favorite TV Show, The Big Bang Theory, Game of Thrones, Grey’s Anatomy, The Voice and The Walking Dead.
- Favorite Network TV Comedy, 2 Broke Girls, The Big Bang Theory, Mike & Molly, Modern Family and New Girl were nominated.
- Favorite Comedic TV Actor: Andy Samberg, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, Matthew Perry.
- The Favorite Comedic TV Actress nominees are Anna Faris, Kaley Cuoco, Melissa McCarthy, Sofía Vergara and Zooey Deschanel.
A few of the music category nominees include Favorite Male Artist nods to Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber, Luke Bryan, Nick Jonas and The Weeknd. The Favorite Group nominees are Fall Out Boy, Fifth Harmony, Imagine Dragons, Maroon 5 and One Direction. Demi Lovato, Ed Sheeran, Kelly Clarkson, Selena Gomez, Taylor Swift are Favorite Pop Artist nominees.
The show will be hosted by Jane Lynch. It airs live from the Microsoft Theater L.A. Live on Wednesday, January 6, 2016 (9:00-11:00 PM, ET/delayed PT) on CBS.
Dana Smith writes for vipawardshowtickets.com