Thursday, January 8, 2015
The Two Brothers Behind Charlie Hebdo Massacre Yesterday Still ON THE RUN
Yesterday I reported at first via NBC that all three suspects were in custody, that turned out to be false information. Read here. An update shows that while one suspect handed himself in to authorities, the two above are still at large.
The two men are brothers Cherif Kouachi (left), 32, and Said Kouachi (right), 34, both from Paris. The brothers were masked and armed with automatic weapons when they stormed into the office of French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo yesterday and killed 12 people, including two police officers. The two brothers, who are said to have been trained in Yemen as assassins, are still at large.
The third suspect who surrendered to police late last night after seeing his name circulating on social media is 18 year old Hamyd Mourad, and he did not participate in the shooting.
The mistake the assasins are said to have made was that one of them forgot his ID card in the getaway car they abandoned when they transfered to another vehicle in order to get the police off their tail.
Both Cherif and Said are said to have been born and raised in France, and spent most of their childhood in orphanages.
One of the suspects, Cherif Kouachi is reported to have been arrested in May 2008 and sentenced to 3 years in prison for terrorism in Paris along with six others.
All seven men were accused of sending about a dozen young Frenchmen to join Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of Al Qaeda in Iraq, after funneling them through radical religious establishments in Syria and Egypt.
French authorities believed Kouachi had been planning to go to Syria for training in 2005.
The manhunt continues.
AROUND THE WEB